Having a vehicle breakdown as you tour Australia is frustrating and dangerous especially if this happens in a remote place where it will be difficult to access mechanical help. To help you prepare in case of such eventualities, here are tips on what to do in case your vehicle breaks down:
- Remain calm: Instead of panicking and trying to find out what the problems, the first step is to make yourself calm. Take and deep breathe and understand the situation before taking any step immediately after the incident. When you are calm, you will be able to understand the situation better which will, in turn, help you to make the right judgment. If it is a situation where you are assured that it is not possible to fix on your own, take some rest as you think of the best person to contact in the situation.
- Ensure that the spare parts and some of the essential tools are with you even if you do not how to fix it: This is one of the most essential checks before embarking on your trip to Australia. If you are not aware of what you should carry with you, asking your mechanic will be a good idea. It is possible that one of the travelers could have the knowledge of fixing your car and having the tools will make it easier.
- Ensure that your panic box is well equipped: Some of the items that should be in your panic box include a first aid kit, personal locator beacon or a satellite phone, food, water, torch which will come in handy at night, waterproof matches, multi-tool and a signal mirror.
- Stay in your vehicle: After a vehicle breakdown, the temptation of moving out of the vehicle and going to look for help is very high. However, the best option will be to stay in your vehicle since it will be easier for someone to find your car than finding you as you move from one place to the other. The vehicle will also be a form of security either from harsh weather conditions or from dangerous animals that could be wandering about.
- Do not look for a quick fix: when your vehicle breaks down, you will want to look for a quick fix where you will be off to your destination within the shortest possible time. However, this could lead to even a greater problem if the problem was not fully fixed.
Before the start of the journey, you should let someone know where you are so that in case anything happens and you need urgent help, they will be able to locate you much faster than when everyone is just guessing where you may be located.
If you are traveling Australia as a family, reassuring the children that everything will soon be okay and ensure that they stay hydrated is of great importance. You will not want to get into a situation where you need medical emergency and your vehicle is not in the right working condition. Ration the little supply at your disposal until you are able to get help.